Digital audio recorder recommendation?

pixelated

I want to try making some induction/live recordings but minidisc recorders are getting hard to find.  So I thought I would go with the newer technology of memory-based digital audio recorders.  Does anyone have experience with these 24-bit/96kHz linear PCM recorders or similar products?

Sony PCM-D50
Olympus LS-10
Edirol R-09HR
Zoom H4

These recorders are overkill for recording audio in the parks but I figured I might as well get something that I can use in other situations.  Thanks in advance!

Can say my daughter has used a Zoom H2 and was not totally impressed, thought the mics might not be as good as they could be for the price, the H4 has xlr's so it may be fine. 

She uses a Marantz PMD640 which she's quite happy with, but wants a Nagra so I think her opinions may be negatively biased.

I can't vouch for any of those, as I don't have any experience.  I'm using a Sony RH1 for my recordings and have no desire/need to move to something else.  You may be able to find them fairly cheap perhaps on eBay or something.

Good Luck!

There's usually plenty of minidisc recorders on ebay BUT the discs are getting scarce as well.
You can, however, copy the discs onto the PC and delete what's on them so a few dozen should last a lifetime ;D
They are also simple to operate.
I have two mp3 recorders (which record in Wav  ::) ) and mine don't have mic sockets (built in - mono) and they are a devil of a thing to get into recording mode - and you need good eyesight/microscope to read the screen (tiny) to see what it's doing but the minidisc is just so easy, I can't see the benefit of changing to anything else at the moment.
They do look interesting but cost around 5 times what I paid for the minidisc (new) 3 years ago :o
There's also the fact that I like to be able to change the disc and keep it in a safe place (and there's a tab for protecting the recording).
Maybe I just need "simple" in large letters.
That's a minidisc. ;)

I use the Edirol and have no complaints at all.  I usually get fantastic results with it, it's easy to use, and it has all of the functions one would need to make high quality recordings.

I have the Olympus LS-10. I used it for the first time a few weeks ago at WDW (recorded the shows in the British Invasion torrent) and considering I used the built in mics, I don't think the sound came out too bad.

Back