No sound coming from my speakers

DarMar106

Hi everybody, i have a Sony Vaio and my speakers aren't giving any sound. The little Volume meter in the corner goes up and down showing sound but my speakers are silent. Anyone have any idea whats goign on?

Check your speaker connections.  If it has worked before, the signal wire may just be loose in its port.

If it hasn't worked before, check to make sure you have the signal wire in the correct "audio out" port.

Also make sure your speakers are on and check the volume setting.

Any more details?
Is it new, have you had sound before, what OS are you running etc.
Otherwise you'll get replies like "turn off the mute" ;D
Check it is enabled in device manager (and check it's not muted or the volume turned down to zero if you haven't already.
Do you have any sounds at all - like the windows start sound etc or are we talking downloaded files etc?
As I say, more info please. I haven't got enough to work on :)
Try a Google for "Sony Vaio no sound", it sounds common but easy to fix.

Is it the infamous AC97 chip?
Just go to the device manager or whatever it is in Vista and make sure that your actual card/chip has been selected as default (I once installed something that changed that without me knowing and I lost sound).
Just confirm that you HAVE had sound before though and this is something that has just happened and it won't play ANY sound format (mp3, wav, flac etc) .
The Windows sounds are normally wav files so if it plays those.........................(and we are not talking POST "beep" here, but the actual Windows sounds)
Check a few different players as well (download some free ones in necessary) in case it's the player at fault.

ok i disabled the output device, un fortunately i forgot the name. so im trying to able it again so i think i may have screwed mysefl even worse

OK, I think we really have to stop the thread now before we get into trouble as it's not really Park related and there's a limit one can do with minimal information.
(I notice you haven't answered most of my questions so I can't really help any more without having the laptop here :) - they were all asked for good reasons, honest).
There are problems with this make of laptop and sounds (Google the words I gave before - lots of suggestions there).
The solution depends on a number of factors including upgrading from XP to Vista, whether the problem has suddenly started or whether it's from after an upgrade or since you bought it.
As a final suggestion, open the sounds and audio devices in control panel and look at EACH tab and see if anything is obvious - check EVERYTHING. (Make sure the mute tab isn't checked!!!) - I have known sound being allocated to some strange things! - like a USB turntable (oops, it did that to me when I installed the drivers and I lost all my sounds).
Go to the "sounds" tab and check that your laptop plays the Windows sounds.
If it does, it isn't the machine, it's the player.
If it doesn't, it's either a loose wire inside the laptop (more or less as SirLamer indicated) or your settings are wrong. You'll need to think back what you installed or did since the last time it worked.
If you have upgraded to Vista, update all your sound drivers to the latest versions and check also that sound it enabled in the BIOS.
If all that leaves you scratching your head, take it to a PC repair shop  ::)
Good luck

Back