Seeding/Uploading

Forhamlet

I have downloaded and gotten some great stuff. But im not happy with my ratio and wanted to upload or seed what i have downloaded. I redownloaded the torrent file and loaded the files back into the download folder. The files got recognized and some uploading has happened but at small bit rates. I use bittorrent and I see a bunch of peers/leechers and it varies by seeder and a lot of my files don't start uploading. Why is that? I have the supply for the demand but it's rare the files upload. Any tips would be helpful.

Forhamlet

Not much you can do other than check you haven't set your upload limits too small in your client.
There are a lot of variables to account for as the tracker will look at all the seeders, their limits etc.
It may be that they are only taking small sections from you as they already have the others.
Mousebits doesn't worry about share ratios anyway.
Of course, if nobody is downloading the files, they won't do anything at all.
I often get just the numbers in brackets and nothing happens on quite a few files and sometimes it just seeds for a few minutes. It's the nature of the beast, I'm afraid. There's no way to change it.
As long as something goes out then you know everything is OK.
Don't worry about it  ;)

i notice the same things,

i try to upload as much as possible, when i'm home i only upload at 45k/sec but when i'm at work i put it as high as it can go at 90k/sec
as i look at it right now, i'm offering 400 files, and only 11 are uploading right now,

Your best bet is to just let it run, and when people search for the older stuff, it's helpful if people are still seeding stuff, as well with all the new uploads, if you start seeding right away then people will be able to get the files quicker.

Eric

I also seem to remember SirLamer asking us not to seed items which have a high number of peers already as it slows down the tracker (which keeps track of who is seeding each file) as it has to check each peer. Not that I understand it all, of course.
The upload speed will always be far less than the download speed anyway.
I've downloaded at over 300k/sec but lucky to upload at much more than 30 or 40. (Broadband land line). My "official" speed is 8mb/s and tests show around 6.5 actual.

Don't worry about this too much. We are doing very well considering we don't enforce certain minimum ratios. Keep in mind that a lot of things influence your upload.

- Your ISP might reduce torrent traffic
- Clients are getting smarter in choosing peers physically closer to them to make traffic more efficient
- Clients will only download with a predefined number of connections

And I probably missed a couple.....

Just leave your files seeding for as long as you can, It took me for ever to get a positive ratio as my ISP has a vicious async ratio. 20Mb d/l upload 0.75Mb upload

I don't keep all my torrents available, I do however keep an eye on the seeders wanted list, and try an make those available,  it helped me.

Also my version of utorrent never seems to get the number of peers correct, it can show say 6 people wanting the file, but the main site shows nobody in the queue.  Even if I clear the peer list it still shows peers wanting a file, when nobody does.

Back