Changing video resolution.

eyore

Come across a small problem.
I've just got a little Archos 605 media player and am happily transferring some park videos onto it.
However, it has one, small problem in that it will only accept video up to a certain resolution (somewhere around 800 x 480).
I've tried changing a few widescreen HD videos (and the program I'm so often chirping on about - Ultra MP4 video converter) doesn't have the correct resolution - I'm trying for 720 x 400 or nearest and the best it has is down at 480 x 272 - the other resolutions aren't widescreen ).
I tried Virtual dub on a 250mb Divx file and it kindly told me that it had aborted the mission as the file size exceeded 4Gb :eek: (using Xvid - HD is Fat32). can't quite figure that one out - that's a huge file for makong the resolution LESS. I must be doing something dumb there but can't figure what (following a web step by step there).
Anyone know something simple (and free) that can reduce a 1200 x 672 Divx video to below 800 so I can put it on my player please? :)

what versions of mp4 can this thing decode ?

I'd try super encoder for the most encoding settings

Thanks.
I have an older version of Super on my older PC (new version thinks my PC is far too slow and tends to crash the system) - I'd forgotten about it. I should have the installation file safely hidden on a backup disc ;D
Actually, the lower resolution seems OK on the Archos as the screen is only about 5" wide.
Ooh, I'm too old for all this.................. :p

Eeyore:  My daughter uses the free Mediacoder to do most conversions for her 605 wifi,  it has extensions for most handhelds , phones etc.  it has two for archos, I think she uses the AV one.

Ooh I have that on my PC (never yet used - I'm a devil for free stuff like this).
I'll give it a try.
The lower resolution actually looks quite good on the small screen. I'm having great fun filling it up with park videos. Great when sitting waiting somewhere ;D
Makes you actually look forward to waiting in the doctor's etc 8)
Also pleased to find it plays flv files from youtube as well.
It's only got  4gb memory but takes SD cards (2gb ones are rather cheap) so I'm making a nice little collection now - a handy second backup device as well ;)

Back