Convert .wmv and .avi to DVD Software

bryan29

I am looking for free software that will allow me to convert .wmv and .avi to DVD. I would like to put my Disneyland and Walt Disney World vacation movies on DVD-Rs. I have Nero to burn them to DVD, but not the software. Thanks for any help you can give me.

I'm a little confused here.
When you say you have Nero, I take it that you only have the basic OEM version then and didn't pay the extra to have DVD support so you can only burn CDs? Otherwise, Nero will convert and burn them for you. Any that need converting to a format understood by Nero can be converted for free using Super.
There are programs out there but I don't think Nero will burn a DVD without the (paid for) plugin (I my be wrong) as it won't allow DVD burning without it - regardless of the format it is in. If it sees a DVD in the drive, it tells you that you need the plugin.
If you Google for DVD free burning programs there are many to choose from BUT some of them will upset Nero (it's fussy) and I have never tried them.
I'm presuming that you do have a drive that will burn DVDs, of course (not just a CD burner).
Whether Nero would work by just copying the files as data (that seems to be what you are asking - convert to DVD format - ISO files - and use Nero to copy the resulting files onto a blank DVD) I'm not sure as I have never tried but I don't think that's the way it's done - try http://www.download.com/Free-Easy-CD-DVD-Burner/3000-2646_4-10627009.html if you want to give it a try and http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/avi_to_dvd_avi2dvd.cfm to do what you asked. Super should convert the WMV files to avi, remember. If you have a slow PC, try for an earlier version (latest needs over 2gb CPU).
I don't think tht Nero will recognise a blank DVD without the plugin though - only CDs.
However, most DVD players will recognise the video files of many formats just copied direct to a CD from your hard drive without touching DVDs at all. Have you tried that?

The single best program for this I have found is Convert X to DVD. You can purchase a copy online, or it is quite easy to find 'backup' copies on the Internet if you so desire.

I have the full version of Nero which allows DVD creation from avi files, but my computer almost always freezes trying to convert it (a P4 1.6 with 768MB of RAM), but I have never had a single flaw with Convert X. It even often fixes audio sync problems that can occur with downloaded content.

I use it all the time, and it converts any video format I have ever had to DVD. It will allow you to create custom menus complete with video and audio. I just used it yesterday to turn the FOTLK in HD file into a DVD, and it is flawless as always.

I hope this helps.

Try Nero 6. The later versions are a bit temperamental.
It's much more stable and doesn't freeze (I have less specs that you! - Celeron 1.7MHz 655Ram).
I do have to admit that a lot of my "general" Disney vids are done on SVCD for general use rather than DVD though and to DVD only as "masters" or for use on the portable DVD player but Nero 6 does them without problems although some formats are not supported (which you can convert anyway to one that is).
The HD stuff comes out really well even on SVCD and doesn't need converting.

Back