DSLR's... any advice?

The wife and I are looking/needing to get a new camera to replace our well-used-and-abused point-and-shoot.  We've used older models of the Canon Digital EOS Rebel in the past with much success (borrowed one from a photographer friend for a few trips), so obviously we're leaning towards the Canon brand simply from a familiarity standpoint.  In particular, I'd love to get the new Ti-2 when it comes out, with it's 18MP and 1080p video capability.  However, I have two problems:

1)  It's not released yet so there's no real way to know how good or bad it is, and
2)  There are several other companies in the DLSR space that we know nothing about, like Nikon, and I have heard tidbits about their products being as good as or better than Canon.

I'd like to avoid Sony as much as possible, but I think that's more from past experience and annoyance of their products.  I'd certainly be open to their products if there was enough good PR on something.

Oh, and we'd like to spend less than $900-1000 on the camera. :)

Thanks for any and all advice!

I purchased a Canon Rebel Xsi kit and I am very pleased with it.  I do, however, plan to get something much better once I master this one.

I am a Nikon fan myself. I have a Nikon D50, which they no longer make. It is one of my favorite cameras, and I will never get rid of it. I actually had a photographer tell me never to get rid of it because it is a very good camera.  One of the best things about Nikon is that all Nikon cameras have the same lens mount. I had a Nikon film camera before this one (N75) and I use the lens from my camera on the DSLR I have now.  It still fits.  I do have to account for the fact the focal length is actually 1.5 times the actual amount of the lens when I use it on my DSLR, but that is only because it was a lens that was originally used on a film camera.  I think it is pretty comparable in features to the Canon. My sister has a Canon and loves it. 

The biggest thing that I have learned about cameras is knowing how to operate them. Make sure you do plenty of practice. Don't just let the camera do everything for you. Take it off of the automatic setting.  Learn some things about lighting and basic photography techniques. I am not a pro, by any means, but I have learned to take better pictures by trial and error. 

Thanks, everyone! 

We stopped by the local National Camera Exchange & Video store yesterday and walked out with the Canon Rebel T2i.  We both have coupons to attend two of their classes, so we'll have that to help teach us plus about 2 months of practice before we head to WDW on May 3.  Also, a friend of my wife is a photographer by trade, and she owns 3 different Canon's, IIRC - an old Digital Rebel that we've used before, and possibly a 5D and a 7D.  She also has lenses we can potentially borrow plus some practical know-how that will be passed along, I'm sure.

Now, if only I can figure out how to record some decent 1080p video before we get there... :)

I just received videos from a Ti2, from the pc hardware website I'm working on ... I'll be putting them together over the weekend, so you can see what is possible with that cam :)

Nice video!  Steady camerawork, considering you were at an expo.

If only I could afford the 5d Mark II.  I think I could get some decent 1080p video of PotC with that camera and the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM lens.  And I'm a Nikon guy ;D.

Thanks, dolby!  I'll have to check the video out at home (pretty sure the place I'm working at right now bans YouTube), but am definitely looking forward to viewing.  I need to learn more about photography in general - then I'll understand what my wife is talking about when she talks aperture, f-stop, et al...  :-[

pixelated said:
Nice video!  Steady camerawork, considering you were at an expo.

If only I could afford the 5d Mark II.  I think I could get some decent 1080p video of PotC with that camera and the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM lens.  And I'm a Nikon guy ;D.

i have one.  it's drool inducing and i have had it for over a year now. 
get a new computer once your purchase it, the file sizes are HUGE.

HD video-capable DSLR cameras with a fast lens and large max aperture would be perfect for getting quality low light videos in the dark rides with detail and no grain, much superior to consumer camcorders.

I believe most videos on this site are shot with camcorders, so hopefully someone with a DSLR will be able to film some of the dark rides in the future.

Back