DVD Camcorder question

We just got a Sony Handycam (DVD108, I think). Just wondering if anyone knows about that model and if it'll be any good for recording a few things down at WDW.

I don't think we're bringing it on our trip starting Saturday, however, my wife doesn't want to bring it...:thumbsdown:

HauntedPirate said:
We just got a Sony Handycam (DVD108, I think). Just wondering if anyone knows about that model and if it'll be any good for recording a few things down at WDW.

I don't think we're bringing it on our trip starting Saturday, however, my wife doesn't want to bring it...:thumbsdown:

i'm not a fan of recording to a dvd because of the hard to edit functions. i would get a minidv or a hd camera.

Agreed...

Editing MPEG video is possible, but you lose a generation of video when you do anything more than cut scenes. Even overlaying text causes a re-encoding which will cause the quality of the video to suffer.

I'm also not a fan of the limited storage available of the devices (I think it's 1/2 hour per disc) and then there's the cost of the discs.

If it's a christmas present, I'd return it and get something else while there's stil time.

lol - rough

But yeah, I would agree that DVDs aren't the best. I think there's also a risk of the laser losing track when the camcorder is subject to rough conditions such as, say, those experienced during an amusement park ride? ;)

In most cases, MiniDV is the best quality for Standard Definition video. Hard drive camcorders are also usually very good quality, and are equivalent to MiniDV if the camcorder allows recording DV format video to the hard drive. Hard drive camcorders are great if you have a computer with a DVD burner. Note that, in the case of burning a post-production DVD, the quality is fine because your computer's CPU is much more powerful and allows for extra time to properly encode the video.

That said, if you are not concerned about video quality, DVD camcorders are fine enough for common uses.

Though I`m biased due to my real world job, I`d say exchange it if you can for a DV (tape) based system. DVD recording on the move, on the fly, is still unproven and is still open to a lot of issues. Same for solid state.

The pros are of course convienience to the man on the street, but us geeks here are bound to have a bit more to say than Joe Public (or John Doe, as i believe you yanks call him!)

Even in broadcast we still shoot on tape (digi Beta) which is then digitised. We`re half HD ready, even then we`ll still be using tape based recording or mass hard drive arrays, stored in a climate controlled room, as another channel used for a TV soap.

In short DVDCams are still too new to be judged, but the technology isn`t.

marni1971 said:
The pros are of course convienience to the man on the street, but us geeks here are bound to have a bit more to say than Joe Public (or John Doe, as i believe you yanks call him!)

Monsieur Toute le Monde? :)

Anyways, I agree with what's been said here. Another advantage to MiniDV is that you can buy (for a premium, of course) tapes at the parks, so if you run out you're covered. The quality is pretty good, and I have an HD camera now that still uses the same tapes.

Back