DVd problem

DarMar106

Ok guys, I use a SOny Handycam that as you may know uses mini DVDs. Now there are two sections, myabe 7mins total where its corrupted of something because its gets all dodgey and start to slow and stuff. Now the reall problem is that it greatly slows down how my my disc converts to AVI. Got any idea, i know its not the best desciption, but illl go into more detail later

Let me preface this with I have absolutely no experience with DVD camcorders...

With commercial DVDs you can sometimes extract the data using a PC (sortof like ripping a DVD) and store it on a hard drive and use it from there.  Once extracted, your HD shouldn't suffer from the same stuttering problems with the camcorder.

I don't know if this is an option, but that's my first guess...

well here's the thing, I use my DVD camcorder like always, no problem. Before it's ready to be watched in a player and such, it has to be finalized in the camcorder its self, no problem there. Now when i watch it i find theres one section, in the beginning that stops at 3:10 it freezes for a bit , looks like its struggling to continue, then it skips ahead and the footage goes on as normal, there another occurance, but i havent clocked that one. So when I go to convert it, I use AVS, it'll go on and by 11.03%, whihc clocks in at 3:10mins, that when it slows down, like ive left it one for an hour and half and its barely at 12.24%. My hope is that once it passes that section it will pick spped back up and then slow down again when the 2nd section comes, so we'll see. Ive never had this problem b4 so ots odd

Again, zilch on camcorders but with DVD recordings, it often means damage or dirt near the centre of the disc (where it holds all the information needed) so that it doesn't recognise that particular section.
Often done when putting the disc in. If so, that's not, as far as I know, correctable as the data is lost which tells the player what it is. I have a TV recording like this - big thumb print on the disc!
I take it it's only the one disc and that others are fine (to rule out a dud camcorder)?

It may even be that the camcorder got "bumped" when recording (I still use tape) and the laser went a bit funny and wrote over something.
I'd also try and rip it to a PC and check the results. At least that will tell you if it's the DVD or the camera that's misreading it.
I think there are programs that can repair stuff - google for "repair video" and see if there's one that would work for you.

Back