Effects of New Lens on my Camera?

WDITrent

Hello everyone. I was wondering what some effects a new lens would have if I decided to purchase one for my camera. I'm not specifically looking for a certain answer, just wondering all the possibilities of a new lens and its causes. I've never upgraded a lens before.

Thanks!

(EDIT: My camera is a Canon Vixia HG21)

I had some problems with autofocus on an older Canon I had with a wide angle lens.  It also introduced some barrel distortion as well.  I don't use it anymore...

I've just bought a wide angle for my sony (it's the cheapest one). It's not very wide but enough for my needs (in particular, the two pirates fighting tableau) as my sony camcorder seems to have a rather  narrow field of view (in relation to other camcorders I've used.
Focus seems fine and there's no distortion that's noticeable on the tests I have done although it does restrict the use of the nightshot plus as it covers the infra-red light (and the spotlight on my Hi8 one).
It's probably because it's not very powerful. The wider the angle, the more distorted it gets, I think.

Thanks! I've done a little bit of research, and I guess now it's whether I would want a telephoto lens or a wide angle lens. I want good low light performence and a certain amount of bokeh.

When I shoot video I always use a wide angle lens- the parks often have wide vistas and so it's helpful to have as wide a perspective as possible. I actually just ordered a super wide angle fisheye lens for even wider shots- I may leave it fisheye or try and use software to correct the distortion (easy to do with photos, harder with video).

Do remember that extra lenses means extra glass for the light to pass through so you are going to lose some light.
Every time light passes through the glass, some light is absorbed. It's probably not noticable on bright days filming in outside conditions but can make a big difference in low light situations (I have the color slides to prove it)
If you have an interchangable lens (take one off, put one on) rather than screw it on to the existing lens that helps but I don't know if that's workable with camcorders but I presume you are talking digital photography (so excuse the last post regarding camcorders although, as far as lenses go, the same applies)
I know my telephoto on my SLR camera took a LOT of light away as they have (usually) more elements in them than a wide angle (and the lenses are usually made of several different types of glass to correct the color etc).
I'd suggest going to the store, select a target and note the exposure etc and then try with the new lens and see the difference. You may be surprised unless they've done a lot of inventing in the last 20 years.

But is a wide angle lens capable of a short depth of field?

Do remember that extra lenses means extra glass for the light to pass through so you are going to lose some light.
Every time light passes through the glass, some light is absorbed. It's probably not noticable on bright days filming in outside conditions but can make a big difference in low light situations (I have the color slides to prove it)
If you have an interchangable lens (take one off, put one on) rather than screw it on to the existing lens that helps but I don't know if that's workable with camcorders but I presume you are talking digital photography (so excuse the last post regarding camcorders although, as far as lenses go, the same applies)
I know my telephoto on my SLR camera took a LOT of light away as they have (usually) more elements in them than a wide angle (and the lenses are usually made of several different types of glass to correct the color etc).
I'd suggest going to the store, select a target and note the exposure etc and then try with the new lens and see the difference. You may be surprised unless they've done a lot of inventing in the last 20 years.

Thanks, eyore. It would be an add-on, so then I guess I could take off my low-light requirement. I could just shoot with either/or.

Yes (short answer) You should be able to get the same results as you do now.
I take it you are asking if you can still get good results if you have to use a lower f stop?
Lower f stop = shorter depth of field (less in front and behind the object in focus).
Lenses shouldn't make more than one or two f stop differences (if that) but, of course, a dull day at f4  may mean stopping down to f2.5 so yes, it will affect the depth of field (but in the way you want). On a sunny day at the beach, dropping down to f11 isn't going to be a  disaster. You can always jiggle with the shutter speed anyway for general subjects. If you want a still of a coaster going around the bend at full speed on a wet rainy day at dusk, you're probably mad anyway  ;D

Do remember that my terminology may not be quite right (I never really learned all the jargon) but I hope the idea is. I'm afraid I gave up all the hard work cameras when I went digital a few years back for a kodak easyshare automatic "point and take the picture" job.

Just thought I'd add this even though it's concerning a camcorder and not a camera.
I used my new wide angle lens throughout my recent visit and boy, did it make a difference.
This year I can actually see whole scenes on the videos without having to pan - and it only cost £50
Didn't affect the light grasp as far as I can tell either and, contrary to what it said on the box, I could still use my nightshot!
Need to watch out for the wet rides though. It's a BIG lens and easily gets spots of water on it.
Thought I'd got a UFO there for a moment on BTMRR  ;D

I took the chance and shot every ride I did with the new lens (and also shot in widescreen now I have a widescreen TV).
Making the comparison between this years and previous year's videos showed quite a difference.
As I said, cheapest one I could get for the Canon. 
Now you know the capabilities, make some notes for the next visit .:D

Back