extracting audio

milo

I was wondering if anyone could offer any suggestions on how I could extract some audio from one of my videos?

I'm presuming when you say video, you mean one on the PC (trather than a VHS tape)
I use Freecorder which seems to work reasonably well (records whatever you hear on the speakers).
I'll be having a look at Ozzietrpic's suggestion though. You can never have too many converters (especially free ones).
There's quite a few things around. For the paid ones, Ultra MP4 Video Converter is pretty cheap. It'll convert pretty much anything to anything (I use it a lot to convert DIVX HD movies to XVid - stupid Nero doesn't like DIVX HD - or the Flv files from YouTube to avi - and by selecting the mp3 option, it just converts the file to audio only - and the upgrades are free for life.
As you can gather, I don't have a decent PC :'(

I just plan on extracting the audio from my DV tapes I will load onto my computer.  I do have NERO, so I might play with that one first.

Having an old, steam-driven PC, I copy my DV tapes to DVD on my Tape/DVD recorder and then rip them to the PC (no video capture card, PC far too slow for the Dongle - too many frames dropped).

BTY, I just downloaded the program suggested by Ozzietropics and converted Dolbyman's Splash Mountain TDL (9 minute avi)  to mp3 in 2 minutes and it's great quality.
Thanks Oz!
If you can plug the camera to play through the PC, Freecorder will record the sound for you (saves copying the tape to the PC first).

Audacity is another great recording program.  Just run any external player to your line in and off you go.  If it's a digital file, just run a jumper from your headphone out to your line in (be sure to turn off any playing while recording or you'll get a feedback loop) and you're good to go as well.  This also works for any online files as well.

Back