Extracting Video From a DVD

JPL

Ok here is the story I have a DVD I made a while back and the first Video on it is really bad quality but the rest is perfect and I want to extract the good vieo but have been running into a bunch of problems. It contains some interesting stuff from around the opening of the Animal Kingdom if that will help motivate someone to help. And I' be willin to share I be.

I hope someone suggests something (free)  ;D
I have the same problem with my own videos of the parks (now converted to DVDs) which I would like to extract bits from without having to rip the entire vob file to my PC.

The best I have found has pre-defined times or file size which is pretty useless.
We need something that you press a "start" button at the right place and a "stop" button when you reach the end. ;D
I really don't want to sell my wife and child into slavery to afford a professional editing suite. :-\

For quick stuff I used to use a program called MPEG-VCR available over at www.womble.com

I think you can also do this with VirtualDub MPEG I think, but it's not very intuitive if I recall correctly. 

One of the best programs I've ever bought was a program called VideoReDo which can also do what you're looking to do.  I never used it for that, but it can do it I think.  I used it for converting .TS files to MPEG streams.  My HD releases here was all converted and edited in VideoReDo, then compressed elsewhere.

I have a DVD recorder that I use to record programs off my TV. I record onto a DVD-RW and use that to upload to my PC. I use a program called DVD Decrypter to upload the vob files to my PC, then use StaxRip to edit the vob files into individual files. It lets you choose between several different containers. (avi, mp4, divx, etc.) Both are free programs I downloaded from the internet.

Do an internet search for both and there are sites to upload the programs and several tutorials telling how to use them. Both are pretty straight-forward and easy to use.

Haven't seen anything that will let you download just part of a vob. Try the two programs I suggested. As long as disc space isn't an issue, ripping the whole DVD isn't really that bad.

There are probably others, maybe even better programs out there, but I've used these and am happy with the results.

Handbrake is good too (and Free!): http://handbrake.fr/

Windows/Mac/Linux. Lets you choose which specific chapters/clips you want to encode, so if you have multiple chapters on your disc, this is a good option.  Does Xvid, H.264, MKV, all you would really need.  Presets for things like ipods and other players too.

I used it on the DisneySea dvd image here so I could watch it around the house without having to burn to an actual disc :)

I've tried the decrypter but still haven't figured a simple (and quick) way to extract what I want from the DVD - it takes a long time to rip a vob file - usually around 1gb) :(.
I know it is possible (I used some free stuff to extract two of my early DLRP videos that I uploaded - the hotel TV and the Zorro outdoor show) but it was really hard work!
I'll have a look at handbrake. ;D

I use TMPGenC - you can specify down to the second start and stop points, and output anything from a VOB to MPEG to a WMV.

I should have my first attempt with Handbrake uploaded later today it's encoding now. The video is a failed Disney Channel Pilot called It's a Trip Disney's Animal Kingdom. It aired shortly after the opening of the park.

Back