File stuck in limbo?

PL-7764

I downloaded a file to my desktop yesterday and later deleted it when I was done with it ... which isn't unusual. But what is unusual about this particular file is that it came back today and won't leave.

I can drag the icon all over the desktop like any other icon, but I cannot delete it ("The specified file cannot be found to be deleted"), rename it (sends the computer into an inescapable loop of trying to rename the file and "The source file and destination file are the same" - this makes no sense as I thought that was an error pertaining to MOVING files? I had to restart the system to end the loop), or move it to any other folder (same problem as trying to delete it). It lists the file as being 0 bytes in size (makes sense since it was, by all accounts except the one that determined it should still be on the desktop, deleted yesterday). I tried re-downloading the original file in the hopes of overwriting the bad version, but confusingly it just made another copy with the exact same name and file format - didn't even ask about overwriting like it normally would when downloading a file to the same location as another identically named one.

As far as I know, there should be no viruses associated with it - it was just the MP3 that Horizons asked about here. Unless that file has something bad about it that was missed by a virus scan while downloading, I have no reason to believe it should have anything wrong with it ...

Any advice on how to kill this zombie file? It's not causing any problems computer-performance-wise so long as I leave it alone, but it is a constant nuisance to see it there and know it will never go away ... I can hide it behind the Google Desktop bar at least, but I still would rather be rid of it entirely.

Spooky wooky.... maybe your PC thinks it`s still in use but isn`t saying so?

How about killing the power for a minute and rebooting (more than restarting?)

There's nothing wrong with the clip you downloaded (and I was able to move it without problems).
Sometimes windows "locks" a file for no reason  ::)
I have a couple on my HD but haven't bothered to do anything with them as I know what they are (I created them so no possibility of anything nasty).
You may like to have a look and read through the posts at :
http://help.lockergnome.com/general/delete-file-desktop--ftopict55000.html
if the other suggestions don't help.
There's a few ways there to get rid of these things.
You have clicked "properties" and unchecked the "read only" (if checked and I bet it will be) box, I hope?

I tried the "Unlocker" app in eyore's link, and that got rid of it without hassle. :) Thanks for the help, all!

Back