Importing Into Itunes

bingie

So - this kinda just hit me...

I download a LOT from this site (as well as random files uploaded to sendspace etc...) and I use Itunes to organize and sort all of my music.

So, when i download mp3 from this site and add them to my itunes library, is it importing them at a lower quality or if it is already an "mp3" does it just add it and perform no conversion to the file?

I have the import settings set so when i enter a CD it imports them at 320kbs but what is the case for the files here...

(perhaps this is a dumb question...)

iTunes does not need to convert MP3 files when they are being imported to your library and as such does not convert them. With CDs it has to rip the data from the disc to your hard drive in order to have it stored on the computer for playback without the CD in. With MP3s, it's already there and readable, so changing anything would be redundant. :P

One exception however would be FLAC files, which iTunes does not support. You can, however, use one of many freely available programs to convert such files to AIFF, which is a lossless codec supported by iTunes and iPod.

Back