ISO Problems

jouett

I\'m having a tough time with an ISO file that I just downloaded (one of the Resort TV torrents). I\'m using Nero and just did an, I believe, a Disk Copy. It burned the DVD. But when I go to watch it on my DVD player and on my DVD player on my PC, it freezes or gets these little blocks through out the screen. Sometimes it\'ll freeze and then jump.

I tried burning the DVD again at a lower speed and it was unable to finish the burn. Came up with an error. (Sorry about not being able to give the error...I\'m at work now.) The DVD\'s were Memorex max 8X. I thought maybe it was the DVDs. So I bought Maxell 16X. Nero then said that it was an incompatible disk.

Any help would be appreciated. Would love to see Chryssa on my TV. Plus, it would help with the other goodies that are out there.

Thanks so much in advance.

Sounds like bad media...

I mail order all my media and I only buy Taiyo Yuden. They are probably the best media you can get. Some might argue this, but you\'ll have trouble finding someone who thinks they are garbage.

I absolutely don\'t bother with store bought media. I\'ve got some that was given to me as gifts (Sony and Memorex) and I just can\'t bring myself to use it. I\'m afraid!

I use store bought disks because I\'m too lazy to order them online. However, I know that Taiyo Yuden media is the best.

I usually have good luck with Verbatim and Sony DVD\'s and TDK CD\'s from the store. Memorex Media is mostly junk. I have a really finicky CD player in my vehicle, and it won\'t even play Memorex or Maxell Media.

I thought I should also mention, it\'s generally agreed that the slower the burn, the better the burn. I burn at 4x for most of my stuff, at least anything I want to keep.

The media I buy is rated to 8x, but I wouldn\'t dare.

I have furnished hundreds of DVD to others (I do some video editing and amateur movie making, etc) and haven\'t had anything returned to me that wouldn\'t work. I also use DVD-R disks, they seem to be a little more compatible, especially with some of the older DVD players.

Get better media and see if that works. A good rule of thumb is:

Made in Japan = Good
Made is Taiwan = Junk

There are exceptions, sometimes you\'ll luck out with some Taiwan brands. I\'ve yet to see junk come out of Japan (at least in terms of blank DVDs).

Thanks to all who\'ve responded. Here\'s the latest. I bought Maxell and Sony both 16X. Using NERO 6, I get an \"illegal disk\" error at the beginning of the burn. Doing some research I\'m thinking my firmware is not up to date and by DVD burner can\'t recognize a 16X blank DVD.

I\'ve worked with the manufacturer of my PC and they\'ve been kind, but can\'t help with firmware.

I\'ve contacted the manufacturer of the DVD burner and have yet to hear anything from them. I tried to download the latest firmware from their website, but when I try to install it, it says my burner is a different one.

Here\'s what I have...LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S. When I try to load the latest firmware from LITE-ON, it says the detected drive is a SOHW-1633S BGS4 and it doesn\'t update it. Again, I\'ve contacted LITE-ON, but I don\'t get any response.

Anyone have an issue with firmware before on these DVD burners?

Thanks

jouett said:
I\'m having a tough time with an ISO file that I just downloaded (one of the Resort TV torrents). I\'m using Nero and just did an, I believe, a Disk Copy. It burned the DVD. But when I go to watch it on my DVD player and on my DVD player on my PC, it freezes or gets these little blocks through out the screen. Sometimes it\'ll freeze and then jump.

I\'m having the same problem. I don\'t think it\'s the media because even if I mount it with Daemon tools prior to burning and view it using power dvd, I have the same viewing issues.

I had a similar problem when trying to burn an ISO for work. I only had DVD-R media, and Nero apparently wanted DVD+R media. Once I used +R media, it burned just fine. Just something you could look into.

kirky said:
Sounds like bad media...

I mail order all my media and I only buy Taiyo Yuden. They are probably the best media you can get. Some might argue this, but you\'ll have trouble finding someone who thinks they are garbage.

I am very lucky, because an extremely awesome and popular store in Calgary has Taiyo Yuden shipped into town for us to buy. :D He\'s not kidding, buying the right discs makes an incredible difference. Any \"discount bin\" stack of 100 DVDs might as well go straight into the garbage \'cause give them a year and they will deteriorate such a state anyway.

FYI, the Calgary store is called Memory Express and they do ship purchases as well.

http://www.memoryexpress.com

HauntedPirate said:
I had a similar problem when trying to burn an ISO for work. I only had DVD-R media, and Nero apparently wanted DVD+R media. Once I used +R media, it burned just fine. Just something you could look into.

During the product life of Nero 7, DVD+R media came out. Updating Nero 7 with the latest patches will add support for DVD+R.

I understand the media issue but I still don\'t understand why if I just mount the ISO and view via my computer I have the same quality problem. That should have nothing to do with media.

That indicates that either the integrity of the video stream in the ISO is corrupt or the video has encoded into it some artifacts and other behaviors that appear to be technical hiccups. This can likely not be resolved by any efforts of your own.

SirLamer said:
That indicates that either the integrity of the video stream in the ISO is corrupt or the video has encoded into it some artifacts and other behaviors that appear to be technical hiccups. This can likely not be resolved by any efforts of your own.

That\'s what I figured but I\'ve only seen one other person state they have the same issue. My guess is that others just haven\'t viewed it yet. Thanks for your help on this.:thumbsup:
-Steve

Just wanted to close this issue out for me. I finally figured out where and how to update my firmware. I can now burn an ISO to a DVD 16X disk and have it work on my DVD player...albeit to a Sony, Maxell didn\'t work.

Thanks to everyone who put their two cents in. You were all very helpful with your input.

Brian

Back