New Mac Airport, then no more Azureus (Vuze)

Well, this seems to be my month for tech problems...

I just bought and set up my Mac Airport wireless router. It works wonderfully, and I can access the net from anywhere in the house. Trouble is, I can no longer get my torrents to seed or to download. I'm sure it must be some firewall issue or maybe some setting I need to adjust. Any ideas on where to start?

I'm running MacOS 10.4

Have you updated the java?  which 10.4?  My daughter had problems with this and mac book pro.  make sure your using your computers internal Ip, and make sure you use either upnp or manual setting NOT both.

pyrotech, thank you for your response.

You lost me, however, at the Java. I have the latest version as far as I can tell. I confess I don't have the slightest idea what upnp and manual settings are. The Azureus tech page is confusing me more than helping me right now.

I've had terrible problems with Vuze since the last-but-one Java update.
It no longer links to the server resulting in "queued" and the message that Mousebits isn't a torrent server but a website.
I fixed it (somewhat) by force seeding them and the did start seeding but the correct number of seeds and peers doesn't show (always remains at 1 when seeding).
Fine, I can live with that.
I updated Java again yesterday and it happened again. I've even tried an earlier version of Vuze - same problem.
May just be my rather old PC can't cope but, looking at the various forums (PC and MAC), it seems to be quite common.
I'm using uTorrent more now.
Regardless of all that, your router will have, I suspect, a built in firewall. For Windows, there's a section in Vuze options to enable uPnP which, I think, is unchecked by default. If there is the same in a Mac, checking the box to enable it should sort it out as that will clear the port for use.
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/optimizing-vuze-speed.htm

Were not vuze users, so not sure where the appropriate menus are:

Heres a walk through (not mine, but it was the solution we used) for bit-torrent. I can't check the actual as my daughter at Uni with the laptop.

"hi this is really simple to do:

• assign a STATIC IP address to your machine. Lets say your AEBS uses 10.0.1.x. You probbaly connect to it WIFI or EITHERNET and ask it for an IP address using DHCP. (I'm asuming this). IF so.. then..
• in system prefs/network/ make a new LOCATION and call it my_torrents or something creative. Save it and APPLY.
• IF you connect to the AEBS in AIRPORT or ETHERNET, in the same location called for_torrents, select the AIRPORT or the ETHERNET you are using and assign in the ADVANCED section under TCP/IP-->MANUALLY an IP address of say 10.0.1.100. Any IP address in the range of 10.0.1.2-->10.0.1.250 should work as long as someone else is not using to your local (AEBS 10.0.1.x) network.
• *click apply*. THis has the assigned an IP address if 10.0.1.100 for exampel to that NIC (network interface) for AIRPORT or ETHERNET.. assuming you are connecting through to your broadband via the AEBS.

ok you mac is set up ..

So now... for your bit torrent client.app, go see which PORT is uses for data transmission/reception and communications.. mine uses port 59595

• NOW launch the AIRPORT UTILITY.app ... and select the main AEBS in the list .. the one that is the connected to your WAN broadband ( or ADSL mode or cable modem or phone line... whatever).
• enter your airport AEBS password and select MANUAL SETUP..lower left?
• select at the top of the PANE '*ADVANCED*".. the one with the gear wheel...
• now select PORT MAPPING
• at the lower left click on the "+" sign and add a port forwarding definition.. here is wher eit maybe confusing.......
• you will see "service "CHOOSE A SERVICE" list box.. dont worry about it.. ..
• you WILL see lists of goodies to fill out like Publish UDP ports, Private TCP posrt and so on. so lets :
• set (type in) "Public TCP Ports(s) " to your bit torrent client listening/data/etc port. Mine is 59595. THere may be a range or a list. Type them in anyway if they say so.
• set (type in) "Private IP Address" to be 10.0.1.100
• set (type in) "PPIVATE TCP Ports(s) " to your bit torrent client listening/data/etc port. Mine is 59595. THere may be a range or a list. Type them in anyway if they say so. THEse are the ports on your local MAC .

This simply maps all INCOMING requests to those PORTS from OUTSIDE your local network to come to your MAC at 10.0.1.100.

I'd suggest you have something like Little Snitch in your system, Its really cheap and worth a licence.

• now press continue and gve the port mappig definiatio n some name like "torrent mapping"

GO apply and restart the  AEBS.

NOw you should be able to get you BT application working better than usual.

If you have some firewall beyong your AEBS or you have some other firewall software in your mac then make sure that these port are permitted or OPEN.

It should work straight away and you shoudl see you BT application start to zoom along after a while.

YOu can ,ap many ports like this to many different IP addresses. Obviously if you want you machibne to handle them you need to have the IUP addresses set to your machine.

THere are slicker ways to do it but this is the simplest :)

YOu can then use SYSTEM PREFS / network / to change the "LOCATIONS" between using the static IP address we defined above and say the orginal one tha uses DHCP. Its your call. A short cust is BLACK APPLE /LOCATIONS/xxxxx ad selet the one you want. Its a MAC so its really easy!"

The spellings not mine  ;D

Try enabling UPnP, open all the ports you need, or use UPnP to do it for you. Its a mac so yeah, I have had many problems fixing people computers, this is a common one, I noticed that the Airports need to be set up a certain way for P2P connection

Back