Not a problem; just the ubergeek in me is wondering

ru42

OK, I am new to Torrents at least the uploading portion.  I have downloaded before but never paid attention to the symbols and purposes.  So, the geek in me wanted to get a few answers.  I had a couple questions about torrent stuff I am seeing:

TORRENTS PAGE:
S, L ,C I assume is seeders, leechers, and ?complete

uTORRENTS PROGRAM
Again, a question on a couple of the columns:
Second one over is just a #; I have 3 files in the window and 2 have the * in that column

Seeds 0(10) - I am guessing that means there are 10 seeders but none are seeding at the moment?  In the lower window I see 0 of 10 connected (19 in swarm).  That 19 matches the 19 seeds I see on MBits?  But why would a seeder be connected to my torrents?  Wouldn't they have the file and seed it from their computer?

Peers 0(12) - Not sure what peers is in the torrent scheme nor the 0/12 portion.  In the lower window I see 0 of 12 connected (1 in swarm).  Again, that 1 would seem to indicate the one person downloading the file currently.  Why wouldn't that downloader be pulling from my torrent.  Doesn't torrent take advantage of pulling from multiple computers at the same time?

Little follow up to the same column.  I am seeding for The Forever Project and I see 3(21) - that means what?

Avail - for the 3 files I have 1.0, 1.0, and 1.519 - I assume avail is short for available but what is available

Thanks for the geeky answers

RU

S, L ,C I assume is seeders, leechers, and ?complete
That's correct.

Second one over is just a #; I have 3 files in the window and 2 have the * in that column
The column is the priority order.  If you download many many torrents at once, you use that to sort which torrents are downloaded first.  Seeding torrents have * because there's no meaning to a priority order in this case.

Seeds 0(10) - I am guessing that means there are 10 seeders but none are seeding at the moment?
That means that your client program has found that 10 seeders are available, but you are not connected to any of them.

In the lower window I see 0 of 10 connected (19 in swarm).  That 19 matches the 19 seeds I see on MBits?  But why would a seeder be connected to my torrents?  Wouldn't they have the file and seed it from their computer?
As per above, this indicates that there are no seeders connected to you.

Peers 0(12) - Not sure what peers is in the torrent scheme nor the 0/12 portion.  In the lower window I see 0 of 12 connected (1 in swarm).
"Peers" are akin to "leechers" - they are still downloading.

Again, that 1 would seem to indicate the one person downloading the file currently.  Why wouldn't that downloader be pulling from my torrent.  Doesn't torrent take advantage of pulling from multiple computers at the same time?
Leechers won't necessarily connect to all seeders, especially when there's a large base of seeders.  It is punishing to connect to too many people if you're getting a good download speed anyway.

Little follow up to the same column.  I am seeding for The Forever Project and I see 3(21) - that means what?
That means 3 of 21 people are downloading from you.

Avail - for the 3 files I have 1.0, 1.0, and 1.519 - I assume avail is short for available but what is available
Availability indicates that, among the group of people you are connected to, there are 1.519 complete copies of the file shared between everyone.  Remember that even if everyone has 99% of the file but they're all missing the same part, that's 0.99 copies.

The column is the priority order.  If you download many many torrents at once, you use that to sort which torrents are downloaded first.  Seeding torrents have * because there's no meaning to a priority order in this case.

Just to clarify ... the * indicates that you have not met your targeted Seed Ratio yet for that torrent (Options >> Preferences >> Queueing).  Once the ratio is met, the * will disappear, though you will continue to seed ... unless you have also configured to stop at that point.  :)

Thanks guys; that all makes sense.  I see what you mean about the *.  I have 2 that do not have the * and their ratios are 4.11 and 1.72.  The menu you mentioned says 150% (1.5).  Since one is way above that at 4.11 that tells me it does not stop when it finally hits 1.5; which is good - I don't want it to stop.  One other file I am seeding (Forever) is at 1.16 and still has the *.

Thanks for helping understand all of those numbers.

RU

All it does is prioritize torrents below 1.5 to promote healthy sharing within the seed pool.

If those torrents don't have leechers, then it will serve completed torrents anyway.

Back