Not FLAC, but I don't know what it is?!

kcw

Hey, I've got a problem that I'm sure has a simple answer- but I'm still new to this torrent business!

I've downloaded a few different things, and most of them worked fine, but I've had a problem with three. After I've run them through ABC, I've had a few that are showing up with a file icon, instead of a mp3 or other format that I'm familiar with.  I tried running all three through a FLAC conversion software (FLAC Frontend), but it basically said that none of them were FLAC files. The first one is Aladdin- A Musical Spectacular, and that actually has the .flac extension. The second one is the Electrical Parade DCA HD and the third one is the Mad Tea Party BGM. The last two simply have no extensions. All three have the same icon next to them (the "file" icon- looks like a small open window, with a blue pane at the top, and mini thumbnails underneath).  I've re-downloaded the Mad Tea Party a few times to see if an error occurred somewhere in the process, but it's been the same result each time. The EP is only at about 55%, but I'm assuming it will be the same case when it's finished.  I just did a conversion using Zamzar.com for the Aladdin one, so hopefully that will work when it's finished, but I can't do the other two because again, there is no extension.

Did this make ANY sense whatsoever?? And if so, can someone tell me what I'm missing?  ???

you should enable extensions in your explorer.. extension hiding is very dangerous

http://www.fileinfo.net/help/windows-show-extensions.html

(the "file" icon- looks like a small open window, with a blue pane at the top, and mini thumbnails underneath)
this is an unkown filetype .. the default icon type

The second one is the Electrical Parade DCA HD

sounds like my video .. but this is wmv ..

Thanks for your help!

Ok, so I went and "un-hid" the extensions, but to no avail. The extensions for those two still aren't showing. However, in the ABC window, the Tea Party shows as a mp3 and the EP shows as a wmv (yes, it's yours!).  So I guess I don't see why the extensions aren't showing up in my music folder, and why they're not being recognized as the formats that they are?  The conversion through Zamzar worked with Aladdin, so that's fine, but I'm stuck on the other two.

Just out of sheer curiosity, why is it dangerous to have hidden extensions? I didn't even know you could hide them, and I'm sure I never went in and selected that option, so it must have been a default on my comp?

don't know why your extensions got cut

Just out of sheer curiosity, why is it dangerous to have hidden extensions? I didn't even know you could hide them, and I'm sure I never went in and selected that option, so it must have been a default on my comp?

quite simple ... I program a virus and name it music.mp3.exe ... the exe is a know extension and is hidden .. so you see music.mp3 .. you start it .. and wham .. it's over

Just as a simple first step, right click on the icon you get and select properties.
At least that should tell you what type of file it is.
Also, what OS are you using?
Windows, Mac etc? What client are you using?
The full title for the Mad Tea Party is
Mad Tea Party - Area BGM (Induction) (6.08).mp3
You could try renaming it - maybe your system doesn't like the () or something (just name it mad.mp3 and see what happens - will it play?).
I have just tried downloading it again and it's playing as I type so there's no problem with the file.
As a precaution, have you scanned your PC for any virus, Trojans, spyware etc?
As I say, no problems with the file (and no trojans or anything, it's clean) so it must be something on your machine/client/programs that's causing it to act in this way.
You are downloading the full file I presume? (check the size is 5.64mb (5782kb), 128kb bitrate, SC Layer III, 44k, 6.09 minutes long) - you may be dropping parts of it when you download (pure guess, don't know if that can actually happen).

Back