PAL To NTSC

oh boy.....

If you just want a PAL DVD appear as NTSC, you can try mikebrakes link.

If you however want to really turn PAL into NTSC you are in for a lot of work. You will need to come up with a way to create the missing frames somehow (PAL = 25 fps and NTSC = 29.97 fps), resize it and in the meantime keep audio in sync. I converted my Epcot25 PAL footage a couple of years ago, so it could be used in the NTSC Celebration 25 DVD. If I am not mistaken I ended up using ProCoder3 at a friend and that took forever to re-encode. I tried a lot of other methods and they were either very jerky, audio out of sync, sized weird or a combination of those.

A lot more video editors are able to handle PAL in a NTSC project now and will re-encode when exported. Martin sometimes uses NTSC and PAL footage in the same edit (his own footage is PAL and a lot of other footage comes from the US and is NTSC) and you might have noticed that pans sometimes look jerky.

Use videohelp.com for help and it might be handy to subtract a small portion of footage if you really need to convert and try some of the methods you can find.

Its not only the frame rate you have to bother about, pal to ntsc losses nearly 20% of its resolution? also can get sound sync problems....do you really have to convert?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I downloaded the video from the newsgroups and it was in the VOB files format so unable to rip from the true DVD.

I do have to convert because when I burn the DVD it will not play on my DVD player. I get an error saying wrong TV system. I will give the "patch method" a try and let everyone know how it turns out.
Thanks
nitt

For me the obvious question...can you hack your DVD player to make it region free?  Mine plays both PAL and NTSC.  I think I correcting say all DVD's are multiregion, just software restricted..

Making it region free won't help, I'm afraid. That doesn't take into account the format, only the region. If it's already been ripped, it's probably region free now anyway.
As the message says  "wrong TV system", that's purely a PAL/NTSC problem - the player won't play PAL (rather than wrong region).
Most newer DVD players and TVs in the UK will happily play NTSC without any problems.  Older ones may be PAL only so I appreciate the problem (I have a portable DVD player that is PAL only).

DVD Shrink and VOB blanker should do the job (free).
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/432441
(Just one of many items on the web saying the same thing.

Being in the UK, I don't have a problem as Nero will convert either way.

Your right Eyore, forgot, most of our DVD players and TV's will handle NTSC if unhacked, but not the other way around, US TV's not built to handle PAL signal.

pyrotech said:
Your right Eyore, forgot, most of our DVD players and TV's will handle NTSC if unhacked, but not the other way around, US TV's not built to handle PAL signal.

I was wondering how those in the UK and other countries using PAL TV were able to watch NTSC DVDs like my Vault Disney ISO image files.  Now I know ;).

Back