Please encrypt your streams!

Hey everyone!
I\'ve been downloading and uploading from this site for a little bit, but I\'ve noticed there\'s a very small amount of people who encrypt their streams.
For me, being behind a firewall I can\'t control, encryption is my only way to get through.
So could more people perhaps activate encryption to give us an easier time connecting?
Thanks!

does this firewall inspect that packages in search for p2p programs ?:|
maybe it\'s done for some reason :D

O:-That\'s beside the point ;)
No, it\'s a security thing for the most part, since it\'s an academic network. Encryption means I won\'t be spreading viruses and whatnot.

mrfantasmic said:
O:-That\'s beside the point ;)
No, it\'s a security thing for the most part, since it\'s an academic network. Encryption means I won\'t be spreading viruses and whatnot.

Incorrect.

Packet encryption has no effect on firewalls. Some ISPs like to \"port throttle\" certain ports associated with P2P to reduce traffic. It knows to enable by detecting certain qualities of the data. Packet encryption aims to circumvent this. A firewall just blocks ports no matter what they\'re doing. It won\'t help you with firewall problems, I\'m afriad.

FYI, most client programs will by default open an ecrypted data stream if the other client requests it.

SirLamer said:
Incorrect.

Packet encryption has no effect on firewalls. Some ISPs like to \"port throttle\" certain ports associated with P2P to reduce traffic. It knows to enable by detecting certain qualities of the data. Packet encryption aims to circumvent this. A firewall just blocks ports no matter what they\'re doing. It won\'t help you with firewall problems, I\'m afriad.

FYI, most client programs will by default open an ecrypted data stream if the other client requests it.
You\'re right, of course. I checked with the University IT, and they said to only torrent at night (between 9 and 7) and to ask people to use encryption to circumvent port throttling.
So I got the reason wrong. Thanks for filling me in, though!

your university gave you the ok to torrent? i must be going to the wrong school (and so must 99% of others as most schools are against torrenting on their networks)

Back