Question on dvd burning(audio)

Let me preface my question with the fact that I am a relatively newbie at this. That said, For the most part 99% of my DVDs burn great. However, for example, I recently burned Martins 3 hour DLP torrent. For the most part playback is great, however, the audio portions sometimes "stutter", only during what appears to be the ride thru portions. Video throughout is fine and audio during everything but the ride thru's is fine. I also get this audio problem on other burned torrent ride thrus as well. When I watch the torrent from my hard drive this problem is not there.

Guess my question is, anything I may be doing wrong when burning? Does it have to do with my write speed? Could it be a problem with my burning package (DVD Flick BTW)? My discs? etc.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Marc

Rule of thumb for burning DVD videos (especially if you are making backups of your DVD library) is to burn them at a slow speed. Some DVD players still have issues with discs burned at a high speed. Give that a try.

What DVD media are you using? (i.e. brand, DVD+R or DVD-R, normal burn speed)

I usually burn at 8x.However, after a disc is burned it tells me what my average write speed was & & my max. Average is usually right around 8. I primarly use Sony DVD-R. I have tried several others but the Sonys seem to work pretty well.

Dream_Theater said:
I usually burn at 8x.However, after a disc is burned it tells me what my average write speed was & & my max. Average is usually right around 8. I primarly use Sony DVD-R. I have tried several others but the Sonys seem to work pretty well.
a. Burn at the slowest speed your burner supports. What's the hurry? We're talking about a couple of minutes difference.
b. Stop buying your media locally. Pretty much everything you purchase locally is junk. Taiyo Yuden is the media of choice and has been for years. I use it exclusively, in the 300+ DVD's I've probably burned I've had one coaster.

If I were to guess at what the problem was. My first guess would be bad media, My experience with others disks have been probably 90% bad media. The other 10% would be using labels.

I don't use labels, I print directly on the surface. DVDs spin very fast, a label being even a little bit off can cause a vibration that makes the disk wobble at the high speed inside a DVD player making it difficult to read. It can also damage the player if it's off that bad.

Try those and let me know what happens.

kirky said:
b. Stop buying your media locally. Pretty much everything you purchase locally is junk. Taiyo Yuden is the media of choice and has been for years. I use it exclusively, in the 300+ DVD's I've probably burned I've had one coaster.

I agree on the Yuden. Never had a coaster yet.

Thanks. I will try the new media.I have been meaning to do the switch to the Taiyo Yudens. I will also try the write speed. BTW, I dont use lables so that should not be the problem. Also, I neverhave a problem with anything but the ride thrus.I am still baffled as to why it only happens during the ride thrus????

Could be the bit rate required to display the video on your standalone, coupled with shakey media is to blame.

Our ridethroughs tend to be handhelds which don't compress well and therefor need a higher bitate to play well.

This is going beyond my skill level, but like I said, 90% of peoples problems usually boil down to bad media.

Peeplmoovr said:
kirky said:

I agree on the Yuden. Never had a coaster yet.

Where can this brand be purchased here in the US?

Many of the online retailers have them. I prefer Supermediastore.com but I think Rima.com and a bunch of others have them as well. Go with whoever you feel comfortable with.

kirky said:
Many of the online retailers have them. I prefer Supermediastore.com but I think Rima.com and a bunch of others have them as well. Go with whoever you feel comfortable with.

Thanks Kirky. I'll check them both out.

Back