Recording Help

horizonsperson

Hey everyone, I'm going to WDW in August and want to record high-quality stereo audio to my camcorder mic jack. What would be the best mic for doing that under $200?

Well if you're looking for some high-quality mics, don't want to break the bank, but are willing to spend a few bucks, I'd recommend these:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-TFB-2

The microphones sit (comfortably, I assure you) in your ears and allow you to record high-quality, lifelike binaural sound. These are the same mics used by many Disney podcasts such as Window to the Magic and Inside the Magic.

You will want to get the Standard Sensitivity version, and you DEFINITELY want to get the wind screens.

So there's my recommendation. I did some recordings with these just a few weeks ago at Disneyland as was very satisfied with the results.

Does your camcorder have a stereo mic jack? Check that first...

Sound Professionals does have some good stuff, but you might really want to think about how much good mics are going to help your recordings.

THe biggest benefit of getting the mics away from the camcorder would be to stop recording the sound of the motor. That's assuming you are using a tape based (and I guess hard drive for that matter) camcorder.

You will still have to wrestle with the ambient sounds all over, that includes the background music, attraction noises the kids screaming, etc. Getting a very good mic tends to amplify those as well.

Just trying to put things in perspective.

I too would recommend in ear mics over camera mounted mics, Nothing like putting a head between the microphones to get the best binaural audio. You won't get that effect with a camera mount unless you mount something like a Jecklin Disk as well.

Back