Rentals

SeaCastle

Hello all,

I'm looking to rent an audio recorder for two weeks while I'm at WDW. Since I only visit the parks once a year, I figured it would be more cost effective than buyiing it up froont and not using it most of the time. Does anyone know of a company that does this kind of business? What would be typical rates for renting, let's say, an Edirol R-09HR for the duration of two weeks?

Thanks in advance!

There's also a security deposit to pay as well  :o
Thar particular model sells for around £1400 (just over $2000 US or $2100 Can) so if we divide that  by the daily rate of £85 ($123 or $128 Can), that's roughly 1/16th of the total price. I suppose that's an average rental fee.
maybe a little less for a cheaper model  ;)

Oh gosh, my poor Zoom H2 only cost a little more than the daily rate.
How the other half lives  :D

eyore said:
Thar particular model sells for around £1400 (just over $2000 US or $2100 Can) so if we divide that  by the daily rate of £85 ($123 or $128 Can), that's roughly 1/16th of the total price. I suppose that's an average rental fee.

I think you accidentally moved the decimal point ;D; that model should be around $260-280 US:
http://www.gosale.com/4945166/edirol-r-09hr-high-resolution?gclid=CM79gtHOp6ICFR49gwodplXTQw

eyore said:

Heh, but the Zoom H2 is highly competent for the price - the only issue is the noise floor. Otherwise, I'm happy with it :)

I did a bit of searching for it, and there are places where you can rent audio recording equipment, but with prices like $40 per day (I would need it for at least nine days) I would just be better off buying the device (which I'm not going to do).

TyphoonLagoon said:
Never seen anything like that before. What is it that you want to record?

I wasn't looking to record anything specific, just higher quality live recordings and recordings of spiels from WDW transportation. I was going to attempt an induction on Rock 'n Rollercoaster (!) just to see what would come up. I wouldn't have enough time to record longer loops (i.e. Fantasyland West, Pixar Place) but bus spiels/monorail spiels would be easier since they can be capture en route.

At any rate, I will probably wind up doing what I did with my Disneyland Resort Live Recording Series and use my digital camera to make audio recordings (with more batteries and SD cards)...which isn't half bad, but I believe they came out in mono. I'd be able to use binaural headphones with a better recorder. Regardless, in late August I'll be posting some video stills (standard definition) and hopefully some live audio.

SeaCastle said:
but I believe they came out in mono.
Any induction recording will be mono, no matter whether you set your setting to mono or stereo (I use the stereo setting for mine, which is why it records in joint stereo).

pixelated said:
eyore said:

I think you accidentally moved the decimal point ;D; that model should be around $260-280 US:
http://www.gosale.com/4945166/edirol-r-09hr-high-resolution?gclid=CM79gtHOp6ICFR49gwodplXTQw

No, it was a different model I was talking about. The Edirol R-4 Professional  (which was the one I linked to) really starts at around £1500 UK (on price comparison sites) up to over £2000.
Must be some recorder  :o
I couldn't find the 9 with an option for rental so used the more expensive model for which I did find a rental option.

Sorry if I confused anyone.

Edit. Found a few places in the UK that do daily rental of the correct model - the R-09 (fat lot of good that is to you) and it's £30 per day  (that's about $45 US) so seems a pretty standard rate worldwide.
Go on Seacastle, treat yourself  ;D

TyphoonLagoon said:
SeaCastle said:
but I believe they came out in mono.
Any induction recording will be mono, no matter whether you set your setting to mono or stereo (I use the stereo setting for mine, which is why it records in joint stereo).

I was referring to the live recordings from my digital camera coming out in mono, not inductions. I don't think I worded that statement correctly.

eyore said:
No, it was a different model I was talking about. The Edirol R-4 Professional  (which was the one I linked to) really starts at around £1500 UK (on price comparison sites) up to over £2000.
Must be some recorder  :o
I couldn't find the 9 with an option for rental so used the more expensive model for which I did find a rental option.

Sorry if I confused anyone.

Oh that "that" ;D.  That Edirol R-4 Pro is a hefty looking recorder, both in terms of size and weight (1.7 kg, probably not including the weight of the 8 LR6/AA batteries it uses for power).  But it records 4 audio channels and has a built-in 80 GB hard drive, so...

At least with the Zoom, I can hold it to my ear with one hand and nod knowingly pretending it's a large mobile phone while the directional mics record outwards. No odd looks from CMs - yet.  ;D
It's also possible to record with one hand while videoing with the other although the stereo  lapel mic attached to my cap did get a few odd looks from guests on the Keelboats.
I've already downsized things ( problems with my spine). I doubt I could lift 1.7kg never mind carry it  around the park  ::)
To think that 5 years ago I was using one of those tiny dictation tape recorders 3"x1 1/2" with a single AA battery.
I don't have enough years left in me to pay out any more though. wish I'd started this back in 92 when DLRP opened.

Back