Ripping/Encoding DVD

Peabody

(forgive me if this has been discussed before)

I\'ve been wondering how people rip/encode DVDs. I\'m looking to archive some stuff on my machine...non-commercial stuff ripped for my own purposes, not for sharing. (Although there is a DIsneySea DVD I\'d love to share if I can get permission from the filmer) I\'ve seen people rip DVDs to a nice video file about 700meg and that\'s what I\'m shooting for. Can anyone offer some insight on easy ways? (perhaps with freeware?)

there is a mac/windows program called Handbrake, i think it might be getting a new name, that will do this for you. you can get decent results, there are more involved processes, like using dvd decrypter to put the whole dvd content on your computer and using autoGK to make it 700 MB.

You can also try www.doom9.org

The re are hundred of methods to achieve what you\'re trying to do. I\'d say the easiest way is DVDDecrypter + AutoGK. You\'ll get excellent quality and your files will be playable on DivX-capable standalone players.

go check out www.squared5.com there is a program for mac and windows called moeg stream and it will take a dvd and convert the .vob files to avi for you.

Clearly there are a million ways, lol.

Nero is a commercial solution which makes the process exceedingly easy but in general yields poorer video quality than the Open Source solutions.

Back