Seeding confirmation?

jesspark

So after my little snafu with the ShoutBox earlier this evening, I figured that I may as well come clean and admit that I'm not just an occasional ditz (although mistaking the ShoutBox for a Search was simply a blonde moment); I'm also a hopeless newbie when it comes to torrents. Feel free to pelt rotten veggie veggie fruit fruits at me now.

Done? Okay. =)

I've been doing a lot of downloading tonight, and I'm concerned that I'm not seeding correctly once my files finish downloading. I don't want to take without giving back to the community, so I want to leave my files up as long as possible... but I moved a few of the downloaded files after viewing them, and re-opening their torrents just started them downloading again.

I generated new torrents using the relocated downloaded files and now BitTorrent OSX tells me that they're "Seeding Nonstop," but I was wondering if there was some way to make sure that other members of MouseBits are able to access these files. Each torrent that I download from now on goes in a specifically designated folder rather than on my desktop, so I shouldn't have to worry about moving stuff around in the future, but, for my recently downloaded files, I just want to know that my attempts at seeding are working--or, if not, what I can do to resolve the situation.

Clear as mud? I thought so. =) If you can decipher my exhausted/clueless ramblings, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Jess

Right now, it is showing that you are seeding 5 torrents.
If you want to check to see which torrents are seen being seeded, just click on your name in the online users list to the left. I hope this helps and welcome!

I have never heard of your client "Mainline". Try using uTorrent, it works well for most people.

Also make sure you don't have a firewall blocking the ports necessary for other client programs to communicate with yours!

Finally, note that our current seeder-to-leecher ratio is 35:1. If you are new to the site you are probably downloading older torrents with little active traffic. If there's no one downloading, you can't seed! Also, with so many people seeding, it's likely your client wouldn't be able to budge in anyway.

We don't expect users to maintain any certain seed ratio. If yours forever remains at 0.0, no one will mind. :)

Mainline means the original bittorrent client called "bittorrent" and she is on a Mac. In any case, that's still not the best client to use, you should use Transmission www.transmission.m0k.org for your torrent needs.

I really liked using Transmission and appreciated the recommendation, but I received a PM telling me that my client was wrongly reporting my data transfers and disrupting the site's stats. The client that I was suggested to switch to, uTorrent, appears to be Windows-only, so I guess it's back to BitTorrent for me. :-/ Oh well!

I'm a new uploader, and am concerned about how I'm uploading. I uploaded the file to mousebits, but when I'm seeding it is not downloadng for anyone. I can tell, by our other computer downloading this file. The file is currently not up anymore, but I'd love to get it up by this weekend. So can someone PLEASE help me. I have Windows firewall and a wireless router connection.

have you configured your router for torrent ? either port forwarding or (if supported by the soft-&hardware UPnP) ?

dolbyman said:
have you configured your router for torrent ? either port forwarding or (if supported by the soft-&hardware UPnP) ?

Exactly what do you mean? The router is in our opposite room! I have a wireless connection!

Back