Tripods in the Parks

SeaCastle

I have an expandable and retractable tripod, that when completely retracted is about one or two feet long, but opens up to be pretty big. What is WDW's policy on tripods in the parks?

I just love my monopod .. it's very compact .. and has a fluid base for smooth movements ... with that nobody will stumble

I've read several different things on the web concerning tripods. All were different. One post I read said that they were okay in all of the parks, but you'll probably find that policy varies from castmember to castmember.

I used one on my last trip and was stopped from using it at Epcot. The castmember told me it had to be tabletop size. (Actually, she held her fingers about a foot apart, about tabletop size.)  She also mentioned something about wrapping my leg around it so nobody could trip over it or something like that.  ??? They are mainly concerned about a tripping hazard.

I used it in the Magic Kingdom to tape Spectromagic, but didn't extend the legs and nobody said anything. (I don't even know if anybody noticed.)

If you're willing to carry it around, go ahead and try it, but make sure the legs don't stick out where somebody could trip over it and you should be okay. Of course a monopod would be better since it only has the one leg.

I have taken a tripod on my last trip to Disney and have not had any problem. I took a monopod the year before. The tripod I took last year had a monopod in the center that held the camera, but could be removed for use by itself. I bought it from Ritz Camera for somewhere between $40-$60. I used the tripod to take pictures of Illuminations in Epcot and never had anyone bother me about it. I did use the monopod to tape Spectromagic and a few other things on the previous trip. While it doesn't give you the complete stability of a tripod, it does make your footage much more stable for video taping and it keeps your hand from hurting so much. One security guard at the bag check in one of the parks thought it was a night stick at first, but when I told him it was a monopod, he didn't give me any more problems. I will warn you. Even though a tripod weighs less than 5 lbs., when you put it in a bag with a DSLR, Zoom Lense, Video camera, and all of my other daily essentials for a park trip, the bag can become very heavy to carry. Luckily I have a willing husband who shoulders the weight of the bag for me most of the time. I take it back for a while after he complains a little later in the day. What seems to be not so bad at 11:30 AM is much worse by 11:00 PM.

There are really tiny tripods available for use on a bench or table (or garbage bin hint, hint)
They are only a foot high when extended and not all that steady for panning etc but, if you want a decent one position  take of a parade or similar I would think they could be quite good (I forgot mine this year so can't confirm).
Of course, you need to find somewhere higher up with a good view and a bin against a fence and no chance of someone standing in front. ;D
I've used it a few times at home and the results are pretty steady (much better than hand-held).
I have yet to find a monopod that's small and light enough to fit in my backpack (it's a MM one and I'm not changing it!) - at least, one I can afford :P If it sticks out, it'll get stolen. Rogues and vagabonds abound in DLRP. We had our stroller stolen twice!

When I was taking some night pictures of Splash Mountain at Disneyland a few weeks ago, I was told by Security (the Cast Members with the white hats and silver badges) that I needed authorization to have my tripod in the Park :o.  He also warned me about having a tripod in a walkway which I expected but I was still in utter shock about needing prior approval to even have my tripod with me.  I've shot with my tripod in full view of Security many, many times before and I was never told that.  On a later visit, I asked a Disney Photo Pass Photographer and his Lead if they had ever heard of that policy.  Both of them had never heard of it and they were equally surprised.  Has anyone heard of this policy at any of the Parks?

No but I must admit, I have never actually seen anyone in DLRP with one (that's the only park I have been to).
Maybe it's a recent security thing as they do have sharp ends and maybe could be seen as a weapon? A monopod could be taken for a walking stick.
I've certainly seen table knives confiscated (the sort you put butter on bread with) there (we take their own plastic ones - they seem OK) ;D.

eyore said:
No but I must admit, I have never actually seen anyone in DLRP with one (that's the only park I have been to).
Maybe it's a recent security thing as they do have sharp ends and maybe could be seen as a weapon? A monopod could be taken for a walking stick.
I've certainly seen table knives confiscated (the sort you put butter on bread with) there (we take their own plastic ones - they seem OK) ;D.

I always put my tripod on the bag check table at the Disneyland security checkpoint because I want to be clear that I'm bringing in a large black metal object that looks vaguely sinister.  It also frees up my hands so I can open my camera bag ;D.  No one at the checkpoint has ever questioned it so I don't think it's a security issue.  I occasionally see a few tripods in use during the fireworks shows and also after closing as photographers take advantage of a mostly empty Park.

By the way, there is an archived thread at MousePlanet about tripods at Disneyland:
"do any of you guys and gals bring tripods to disneyland?"
http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/archive/index.php/t-45650.html

Maybe some CMs take the use of a tripod as a sign someone may be a professional photographer rather than a tourist?
I could understand a professional photographer being asked to obtain permission to film in the parks as they'd be making money from it and Disney would like a cut. ;D
I have, in the past, been pestered by people when using a tripod (not in the parks) and a SLR camera and they kept hovering around watching the photographer at work and asking questions - I was only taking holiday snaps with a telephoto lens though!
They just didn't believe me ;D

Yes, I was also wondering if that was the case.  The thinking seems to be that a tripod plus an SLR equals a professional.  It would be nice if there was an ID that proved you are just a "Dedicated Amateur Photographer" but I have a feeling some unscrupulous pros would manage to obtain one and render it meaningless.

The newer camera technology will help reduce the need for a tripod.  Combine a DSLR camera body that produces good results at an ISO of 1600 to 3200 with an image stabilized lens and you'll get some good hand-held shots that would have otherwise required a tripod.

"It's a great big beautiful tomorrow."

Back