Updated and Fixed,feel free to lock this:BitTorrent traffic being blocked by ISP

Mousie

UPDATE: Deleted my settings file and starting anew. Everything seems to be downloading/uploading just fine now. Thank you for your help though!
It appears as though my ISP is blocking all of my Bittorrent traffic. :/ Meaning not just no seeding, but no downloading either. I noticed a few nights ago that I wasn't seeding to anyone. I know many of my torrents are older torrents so maybe no one was downloading them. I tried downloading a newer torrent so I'd have to connect and download new data. I still wasn't connecting to any peers. Maybe it's just the mousebits tracker? Let's try downloading something I know I'll be able to get peers and a download within 30 minutes, Ubuntu! It's been an hour and I haven't even had a single connection. :/

So. Any ideas on what I should do? I love contributing to Mousebits as a seeder (519.27 GB uploaded, go me!) but I think as much as I have been seeding, this is why BT is being blocked.

Dvx5s.png

so if you narrowed it down to the provider I would just ask them why they block it .. if they are unwilling to change the blocking might be a good time to change the isp (because I guess he bend the terms and conditions a bit by "censoring" parts of the internet for you)

A couple of quick questions.
Is it only Mousebits? Can you download/seed from other sites?
Have you tried a different client (say Utorrent)? (In case something has gone wrong with the settings on your current one).
Have you checked your firewall settings?
Generally it's something gone wrong with the settings when this happens so try the above and see what happens and let us know.
I doubt the seeding is causing it to be blocked BUT (I take it you are UK based), most UK ISPs that give "unlimited" access actually cap at 30Gb per month or thereabouts (under the fair use clause). You may have gone over your limit? Some warn you, some charge more and some just block stuff.
I honestly don't know if BT blocks certain traffic or not (sorry, I'm not sure if BT is the ISP or an abbreviation for Bit Torrent but the suggestions still apply). I'll have a quick Google  ;)
If it IS your ISP, there's no way out other than to change it to another provider.
I think pinging mousebits would show if anything is being blocked or not (sorry, I forget the number).
This site may help (follow the instructions towards the end of the article and connect to the website they name)
http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/bttest.php

eyore said:
Is it only Mousebits? Can you download/seed from other sites?

I've tried torrenting the latest version of Ubuntu (popular linux distribution) that can often download within 30 minutes. After an hour I still didn't have any connections to any peers.

eyore said:
Have you tried a different client (say Utorrent)? (In case something has gone wrong with the settings on your current one).

I'll try that now.

EDIT: Surprisingly, another client worked. \o/ So it may not be that it's blocking BT traffic but something isn't configured correctly. I'll try resetting the settings and starting over to see if that helps.

eyore said:
Have you checked your firewall settings?

I am my own sysadmin at home. :P No one else in the household even knows how to set up the wireless let alone a firewall.

eyore said:
Generally it's something gone wrong with the settings when this happens so try the above and see what happens and let us know.
I doubt the seeding is causing it to be blocked BUT (I take it you are UK based), most UK ISPs that give "unlimited" access actually cap at 30Gb per month or thereabouts (under the fair use clause). You may have gone over your limit? Some warn you, some charge more and some just block stuff.
I honestly don't know if BT blocks certain traffic or not (sorry, I'm not sure if BT is the ISP or an abbreviation for Bit Torrent but the suggestions still apply). I'll have a quick Google  ;)
If it IS your ISP, there's no way out other than to change it to another provider.
I think pinging mousebits would show if anything is being blocked or not (sorry, I forget the number).
This site may help (follow the instructions towards the end of the article and connect to the website they name)
http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/bttest.php

I think with pinging mousebits it would only show that the server is up and that it gets a response, not that a type of traffic is being blocked.

I tried pinging it anyways and I got a response just fine with the address and but not the port given (maybe to prevent DDoS attacks?)

dolbyman said:
so if you narrowed it down to the provider I would just ask them why they block it .. if they are unwilling to change the blocking might be a good time to change the isp (because I guess he bend the terms and conditions a bit by "censoring" parts of the internet for you)

This is what I thought it was too but now when using a different client I'm downloading just fine (uploading I assume would be fine as well). If it was my provider I don't have much as far as options. In the US, pretty much in any area here, there's one ISP that has a monopoly in each area and for places that do, it's the lesser of two evils when having to choose.

Back