Uploading with uTorrent

Ted_Flint

Hello all- I've been using the site now for a while and have noticed that my Upload speed with seeds is nominal at best (and non-existant most of the time.) I use uTorrent and Windows XP and think that the problem may be due to my firewall restricting access to it.

I want to try and fix it so that I can be a more functional member of the MouseBits community. If I need to reinstall uTorrent, is it possible to re-instate the files I have already torrented so that I may continue to upload?

Also, I would be most greatful for any comments or suggestions you have on how to get my system running. As I say, I would like to seed as many torrents as I download.

Thanks!

A firewall problem would mean nothing happens at all. If there's something going out then there isn't a problem with it. It's either allowed or blocked. It can't be partially blocked.
Very low upload speed is quite normal, alas.
My upload speeds tend to be around 60kbps at best (on 8meg broadband) but sometimes can drop very low (2 or 3 kbps). There's no way that I know of to increase it - the tracker does that all by itself.
I think the tracker picks what it can use but you could check your options in your client and see if there's an upload limit been set (sorry, I use Vuze so know little about uTorrent)).
If nobody is asking for the file, it won't upload to anything of course (I have dozens of files that aren't doing anything at all - no peers).
Don't worry, there's nobody to shout at you but even those slow speeds will contribute to the site as they may just be the bits others are missing.
Hopefully someone who knows uTorrent may be able to give you more information.

I suggested a firewall problem as that what uTorrent suggested it may be. When I say poor upload speeds, its usually about 0.1kb for the first 5 seconds, and then nothing. This information is regarding the Walt Disney World Forever torrent, which I thought would be quite popular.

How ever, thanks for the info eyore. I just feel bad that I've downloaded 20GB but uploaded 660MB... I think I should give as much as I take.

Do you have any problems uploading torrents to other sites? (I'm taking it that the downloads have a good speed)?
A possible solution may be to change clients and see if the same thing happens?
At least it would give a comparison.
As I say, if it's the same with other sites, there may be some option in uTorrent to limit the uploads by default.
Another thought is that maybe you have configured the firewall to allow stuff IN but not out?
You may, of course, be running more than one firewall as XP has it's own and your virus scanner may also be running one as well.
I have had odd occasions when I get a report of something firewalled when it isn't when using some (legal and for legal purposes, I hasten to add) P2P programs and then it just clears itself and works normally. haven't quite figured that one out ;D
Hopefully a uTorrent expert will read and advise.

Ted_Flint said:
Hello all- I've been using the site now for a while and have noticed that my Upload speed with seeds is nominal at best (and non-existant most of the time.) I use uTorrent and Windows XP and think that the problem may be due to my firewall restricting access to it.

I want to try and fix it so that I can be a more functional member of the MouseBits community. If I need to reinstall uTorrent, is it possible to re-instate the files I have already torrented so that I may continue to upload?

Also, I would be most greatful for any comments or suggestions you have on how to get my system running. As I say, I would like to seed as many torrents as I download.

Thanks!
Are you running a router. You might want to try port forwarding utorrent.

Back