Used to be able to download, but now I can't

mkobelenz

I've been a member of mousebits for a long time.  I used to be able to download anything, using Utorrent.  The past few files I have tried to download aren't working.  The files show as downloading on Utorrent, but nothing is happening.  Any help would be appreciated.

M.

What does the "tracker" tab show?
Does it show Mousebits as "working" and a time to the next update?
Lastly, Utorrent seems to report seeds rather badly. Are there any showing?
It may be you are trying to download something that isn't being seeded at the moment so it will just remain in your downloads doing nothing until a seeder comes on.
There's nothing wrong with the site (I'm downloading fine with Utorrent) so something up with your PC/Client/ISP/Firewall etc I suspect.
Any problems with other sites?
Could be so many things. More information required please ;)

My tracker tab shows nothing when I click on it.  At the bottom it says DHT: waiting to log in.  Not sure if that has anything to do with it.  Is there a program other than Utorrent you would recommend?  ???

Thanks!

Highlight the file you are downloading from here and then click on the tracker tab.
It should give a list including DHT, Local Peer Discovery and Peer Exchange. They will be marked "not allowed" - which is right because it's a private torrent (only available through the mousebits tracker).
The next one should be www.mousebits.com.announce.php etc.
That should say "working" with a time under the "update" column.
If you are showing nothing at all (just the DHT "waiting to log on"), the client isn't working so maybe your ISP has blocked P2P sites or, more likely, you are behind a Firewall and haven't given permission for the client to get through. The firewall could be in Windows, your router or even your virus scanner (or any other program you have installed woth one).
You could, for a start, turn off any firewalls you have just to test and see if it works then - the same with the virus scanner (remember to turn them all back on as soon as possible).
uTorrent is the simplest and most foolproof available (IMHO). make sure it's up to date.
If it's the firewall, others probably wouldn't work either.
You could try Vuze or Bittorrent (same as uTorrent now but a fresh download may help - they will run together)
You didn't answer my other question. Can you download from other sites OK?
If so, what does the tracker show then?

We'll get there, don't worry. Don't give up.

Aha!  It was a problem with my modem's firewall.  I fiddled around with the configuration (I'm totally tech inept), and somehow Utorrent started downloading all the files I've had in queue.  Yay!  ;D

Told ya  ;D
Glad you got it sorted (I've been there myself - sooo frustrating).
Welcome back to downloading.

Back