video capturing and editing

djmatthews

I’m looking for help\\recommendations for video capturing and editing, and then being able to transfer to DVD.

I’ll explain what I want to achieve:

Copy home videos from video camera, edit, add sound, remove parts, insert titles, then write to DVD so it will play on a stand alone payer.

I also want to capture some old (Disney) VHS tapes and covert them into DVD too.

Your help and recommendations are greatly appreciated; I’m looking to spend around the £60 mark if this would provide an adequate piece of kit.

Many Thanks

What type of tape or medium are your home videos stored on? It\'s makes a big difference whether your source is analogue or digital.

SirLamer said:
What type of tape or medium are your home videos stored on? It\'s makes a big difference whether your source is analogue or digital.

Hi There, thanks for the quick reply.

They\'re analogue.

Did your PC come with analogue input sockets (phono) for audio and video? Red and White (or Black) audio inputs, and a yellow video input? Or, if you have SVideo on the tape player, an S Video input? Some do, most don`t.

If not, you need a break out box, normally sold with capturing and edit software. This is a box that connects to the PC via Firewire or USB2 with all these connections on.

By the way, if you have firewire on your computer, Firewire will yield higher transfer rates that USB 2.0 so if you have a choice go for a Firewire capture device if you can.

BTW most digital camcorders (Digital 8, MiniDV, etc.) will input RCA and/or S-video streams, convert to digital and output to Firewire 400. If you have one that\'ll work great.

Back