I seemed to be having problems with ABC

I have a feeling that it's some setting on the PC. It's easy to set something that stops other things working. I have always been able to use Utorrent without setting anything at all or even looking at port settings on the PC or router (OK, I did change the default download folder after I found I couldn't find the downloads at first  :D ).
Of course, he's also tried different clients.
Windows 7 seems to have so many inbuilt warnings for nearly everything you do, I wonder if he's answered "no" to something which has blocked Mousebits?
May even be running two firewalls (windows and one included in a virus checker) and only unblocked on one.
I'll bet it's going to be something really simple in the settings of something.
I've really run out of ideas now. I really thought the new account would sort it out but it didn't.
How would a private tracker cause problems?

eyore said:
How would a private tracker cause problems?

Don't know ;D.  It's just one of many variables that needs to investigated because the more common fixes don't seem to be working.  After searching the 'Net, other uTorrent users have also reported similar problems but I have yet to find any useful answers or diagnostic procedures for this problem.

uTorrent has a Debug feature but it seems to be oriented for the developers rather than users trying to sort out a torrent ::).

I'm thinking back to ChrisLyndon's problems in seeding his Disneyland collection.  After many, many attempts, it suddenly started to seed but slowly and somewhat intermittently.  So... I'm wondering if the MouseBits tracker is acting up with a very small number of users.  Computers are supposed to behave deterministically so when they don't, you start looking around in odd places ;D.

pixelated said:
Timekeeper was able to download a torrent (Ubuntu Linux) from the Ubuntu site though.  If the ports weren't forwarded properly, that download should not have succeeded.

The only difference I can think of right now is that the Ubuntu tracker is public and MouseBits is a private tracker.  As an experiment, I could temporarily setup a public torrent tracker for the Disneyland Forever Project and see if Timekeeper can download it that way.
Could you please? I am willing to be a guinea pig to test this. Please make sure that it's in the USA.

Timekeeper

HEY EVERYONE! I am now downloading, it might actually  have been my ISP who's been blocking my connection, I am at a laundry mat, using it's Wi-Fi and It's working now.  I can't change my home ISP, because it's my family's and they wouldn't like it. Anyways, I have to help my mom, so I will be back!

Timekeeper

I may have to stop downloading both forever torrents soon, so I am going to have try downloading at different places besides my house.  Also, the WDW Forever Torrent is done, for that Thank you everyone!  I am still going to need more seeders for the DL Forever Torrent.

Timekeeper

Again, I need seeders for the DL Forever Torrent! (Though, I may have to cut myself off, as the place I am at is going to be closing soon.)

Timekeeper

If you have a router at home that has a built-in firewall, there's still a chance that the firewall is the problem.  Since you could download MouseBits torrents through the laundromat's Wi-Fi, your uTorrent client settings are fine (assuming you didn't have to tweak them at the laundromat.  If your ISP is selectively blocking torrents from sites like MouseBits but allows Ubuntu torrents, your ISP has an above-average IT staff.  Congratulations!

Timekeeper said:
Also, the WDW Forever Torrent is done, for that Thank you everyone!
Hmm, it must be a nice laudromat if their Wi-Fi has that much bandwidth ;D.

I'm going to setup my netbook as a torrent tracker and I'll PM you the download link for the DL Forever .torrent file once it's all ready.

I'm of the same opinion as pixelated. Check the router firewall. Utorrent sets up the windows firewall to accept it but I think you have to do that manually for a router.
Out of curiosity, have you checked if your ISP blocks stuff? Which one do you use? There's a list somewhere of ISPs that block stuff (Google it).

Timekeeper, did you run the uTorrent Network test when you're connected to your home network?  The test results should say:

Results: Port is open. Your network is properly configured.

Timekeeper said:
Well, I have taken the test and this is the result:

load: class GlasnostReplayer not found.
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: GlasnostReplayer
at sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2ClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.loadClass0(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.loadCode(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Exception: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: GlasnostReplayer

Other than that, I think it's more of my ISP than PC.  Is there an alternative, besides notifying my ISP for an upgrade?

Timekeeper

This looks like your Java Runtime Environment (JRE) is out of date.  The Glasnost test uses a Java applet so if you update your computer's JRE, please try running the Glasnost test again.

Timekeeper, I'm curious about your remarks about servers outside of the USA.  Is it because your ISP has no or poor service to those kinds of servers?  I'm asking because the MouseBits server apparently is in the country of Panama, according to geolocation services.

If it's not a state secret, who is your ISP?
To be honest, I doubt that it's anything to do with your ISP though as you did manage to download at least two torrents from other sources - the Ubuntu one and the Christmas mp3s. I doubt Mousebits has been chosen by your ISP to be blocked unless, as suggested your ISP has no/poor services to those outside the USA.

pixelated said:
Timekeeper, did you run the uTorrent Network test when you're connected to your home network?  The test results should say:

Results: Port is open. Your network is properly configured.
Yeah and I got this: Results: Port is not open (you can still be able to download).

Also, under bandwidth, I got this: "Results: Speed Test Failed. Connection failed error: Timed out. (10060)"

Timekeeper

pixelated said:
Timekeeper, I'm curious about your remarks about servers outside of the USA.  Is it because your ISP has no or poor service to those kinds of servers?  I'm asking because the MouseBits server apparently is in the country of Panama, according to geolocation services.
Nono, it's just that I am in the west coast and I just wasn't sure if the geological region affects the process of a torrent or not.

Timekeeper

pixelated said:
If you have a router at home that has a built-in firewall, there's still a chance that the firewall is the problem.  Since you could download MouseBits torrents through the laundromat's Wi-Fi, your uTorrent client settings are fine (assuming you didn't have to tweak them at the laundromat.  If your ISP is selectively blocking torrents from sites like MouseBits but allows Ubuntu torrents, your ISP has an above-average IT staff.  Congratulations!

Timekeeper said:
Also, the WDW Forever Torrent is done, for that Thank you everyone!
Hmm, it must be a nice laudromat if their Wi-Fi has that much bandwidth ;D.

I'm going to setup my netbook as a torrent tracker and I'll PM you the download link for the DL Forever .torrent file once it's all ready.
  Actually I had to do a pretty big load of laundry, and there was alot more seeders for the WDW Forever Torrent when I connected.  :D

Timekeeper

eyore said:
If it's not a state secret, who is your ISP?
To be honest, I doubt that it's anything to do with your ISP though as you did manage to download at least two torrents from other sources - the Ubuntu one and the Christmas mp3s. I doubt Mousebits has been chosen by your ISP to be blocked unless, as suggested your ISP has no/poor services to those outside the USA.
Verizon, I checked some lists and Verizon thankfully isn't one of them.  ;D

But...it's not my router to use, because it's belongs my Parents and the wi-fi I use at home is only to be used everything else, but not for torrents, (which means I may have to do it elsewhere.)

Timekeeper

That's fair enough then.
I think it's safe to assume that your home router is the culprit then - by design or accident (parents do sometimes place restrictions and say nothing).
If nothing else, you at least know that your own PC is fine.
Not much you can do though until you get your own phone line or a local open wi-fi provider (although you usually have to pay for those).

Back